Your Glen Allen, VA Criminal Defense Attorney
Being arrested and charged with a crime can be a frightening experience. It is easy to feel powerless and at the mercy of the police, prosecutors, and other parts of the criminal justice system. Perhaps the greatest fear is the dread of not knowing what will happen to you. While being arrested is scary, you do not have to continue to feel this way. By getting a skilled and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney on your side, you will learn that you have rights and the ability to defend yourself, and you will know what to expect from the coming process. At Farmer Legal, we provide strong, effective assistance to persons in Glen Allen and surrounding areas who are accused of crimes against the commonwealth of Virginia. We utilize all of our knowledge and skill to get the best result possible in your case.
At Farmer Legal, our criminal defense practice includes all of the following types of crimes:
- Traffic Offenses
- Reckless Driving
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Juvenile Offenses
Your Rights Under Virginia Criminal Law
Being arrested for any offense is a serious matter, and you may face the possibility of many serious consequences, including fines and jail time, as well as damage to your reputation and a criminal record which can affect your ability to get a job or professional license, serve in the military, own a firearm or enjoy other privileges of citizenship. However, you do have rights and protections guaranteed by the Virginia and U.S. laws and constitutions. At Farmer Legal, we know your rights and fight to see that you are protected, while working to get the best possible result in your situation, whether it be a dimissal of charges, a favorable plea negotiation, an acquittal or not guilty verdict, probation or other alternative sentencing.
Among the rights afforded to you as a person accused of a crime are:
- The right to an attorney – You have the right to be represented by a lawyer at all critical stages of the proceeding and to consult with an attorney before making any decisions or answering any questions.
- The privilege against self-incrimination – You never have to testify in court or give any statements to the police if you choose not to. It is recommended that you always exercise this right until you have spoken to a criminal defense attorney for advice.
- Reasonable doubt – Unless the charges against you can be proven to a unanimous jury beyond a reasonable doubt, you cannot be convicted and must be allowed to go free.
- Defenses – Depending on the cirucmstances, you may have many defenses available to you, including questions regarding the conduct of law enforcement. For instance, did the police have probable cause to stop you? Did they have cause to search you, and was the search reasonable? Are the witnesses against you reliable? Your attorney can evaluate the defenses available in your case and advise you accordingly.
Get Immediate Help from a Dedicated Glen Allen Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you are arrested, contact an attorney immediately, and do not offer any information or submit to any questioning by law enforcement until you have spoken to your lawyer. This can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Farmer Legal provides quality criminal defense advice and representation in Glen Allen and throughout central and southwest Virginia. Call our office anytime for immediate assistance. Our number is (804) 325-1441.